Friday, March 11, 2016

Try to Keep Up {Weekly Bog}

It is a madhouse. The students see the boxes in the shop. They know what is about to happen. They moan and groan. They know if they do not keep up, none will survive. Each individual plug is a life to save. Each plug needs to be transplanted into a 6-pack which will be its new home for the next several weeks. We need transplanters, labelers, runners, organizers, and students filling 6-packs with soil. We even need to bring in reinforcements, Mrs. Nailor's first period.

Working in the greenhouse has been one of the best learning experiences for me. I am not a "plant person" and after one work day in the greenhouse I feel as if I learned more in 80 minutes then I did in one semester in college. The delicacy with transplanting is that there are a lot of plugs that need to be transplanted, otherwise they will die. There has to be a system, tasks assigned, and every minute must be utilized.

My first day I looked like a chicken with my head cut off because we had students in the shop transplanting, students in the headhouse, and students in the greenhouse. I was not quite sure where to be, what my role was, and when students asked me questions I did not have the answers too. It was a whirlwind. Even though I did not know, I had to show confidence and make the decisions and facilitate this process  that was new to my students and I.

This was a throw to the lions and you either eat or climb out. I was able to climb out with the help of my cooperating teachers and two teacher assistants. A flash from the past: utilize people who have more experience then you do. I had two students you took this class last year and knew the process that works best with our facilities and class size. They were willing to guide me and I was able to give the class further directions or answer questions.

Trying to keep up. That is what is feels like in the greenhouse. Today, was the second day and it was much better, but I am still on a large learning curve with that class. Learning from my teaching assistants has been a resource for me in that class and they are always willing to shed light on whatever the activity or content is. After doing something, you are more confident about doing it again. Not only the greenhouse, but also learning from students, are two areas that when next spring rolls around and I have my own greenhouse I will be ready be telling the students" try to keep up"!

No comments:

Post a Comment