Friday, March 25, 2016

Ram for the Day {Student Teacher Visit}

On Monday, March 21st I transitioned from a Bulldog to a Ram for the day. Ms. Timmons and Miss Smith graciously hosted me at Kennard Dale to see how a school day works in Southern York County. I am going to write this blog as journal entries, breaking down each class, my observations, and reactions. 

Period 1 – Animal Care Management:
It was refreshing. Ms. Timmons has such a light, caring, and sweet personality that illuminates her large classroom. She implemented multiple learning strategies and techniques. I was impressed with the organization and implementation of bellwork. Her comment to me was it either looks back or looks forward and I really liked the perspective. I struggle with bellwork questioning and resort to it being a direction or task.

Period 2 – Vet Science: I was impressed with the consistency of Ms. Timmons class activities. Students answer the bellwork questions, Ms. Timmons addressed the answer, reviewed where they were and where they were going, and start into the lesson. Her students came in and sat down quietly and were ready to go. Thinking about my second period, I knew this was a difference. Towards the end of the class Ms. Timmons had the students complete an activity that supported the content she taught. I saw the benefit of being in one room with a lot of space: preparation ahead of time, distinct stations and movement, and lots of space to move for the teacher, and students seem more comfortable because they are spread out.

Period 3 – Prep: The prep period which Ms. Timmons used very thoroughly. It was great to discuss the morning classes and the observations I made as well as Ms. Timmons preparation and thought processes on how and why she does certain things.

Period 4 – Animal Care Management (round two): Repeat of period 1 in content but the class was more awake and larger. Something different, that my ears perked to was, how she grades her students. She was giving a completion grade for the lab activity today. I am going to have to ask how she assesses and distributes points in this class.


Period 5 – CASE AFNR: This was fun to watch because I also teach this class at Big Spring. It is Ms. Timmons and Miss Smiths first year teaching this course and it was beneficial to converse with them. Jenna did well with implementing the course without training. She used an interest approach, let the students work through the lab, and then summarized the activity. Miss Smith showed me the organization she has for the lab aids and supplies and we discussed the curriculum and which activities we enjoy.

Before I made my way back to Newville, Ms. Timmons showed me their greenhouse and it was great. It was large, spacious, and fully equipped. The day at Kennard Dale was exactly what I hope it would be. Watching Ms. Timmons shine in her classroom, learn new ideas on classroom setup, activities, and resources. Ultimately I was refreshed to step out of my routine and be able to observe differences to take with me to Big Spring and beyond. One simple take away that I noticed and shared with my cooperating teacher was that Miss Smith laminates her folders so they do not get ruined. So simple, but supplies are expensive so always finding ways to preserve them to essential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment