Friday, March 25, 2016

First Course in the Books {Weekly Blog}

Like many schools, Big Spring ended their third quarter this week. For me, I completed my first class as a teacher, Introduction to Welding. I looked forward to this class full of 16 lively students each day. Everyday, at least after we got through the safety unit, they were extremely excited to work in the shop. Even though I learned the most about discipline in this class, they are also provided me with  the most feedback and food for thought. For example, after I gave them the list of their required welds a student said "Shouldn't we get graded on improvement since we are doing a lot of practicing?" In taking the weekend to reflect and discussing this idea with my cooperating teacher, I decided improvement should be an area they are graded on. I created an improvement grade system that was implemented the next week and it was great. Why? I as a teacher could see their growth and the students who were frustrated, especially with their joints, could be reassured they were improving.

As I mentioned I had several discipline issues with this class. I had a student that skipped my class several days, a student who made beads of inappropriate things, and several students who would not be motivated to work in the shop and did not accomplish anything in a days time. I learned how to handle disciplinary issues on my own and on the spot as well as work with upper administration to ensure the proper consequence was awarded. I learned how to create work for ISS students and submit referrals the Big Spring way.

I would not have traded this class for anything. We had "Family Meetings" at the end of each day where students shared out about their projects, successes, or frustrations. This was a time I could build rapport with the students, teach in a different setting, and I could assess where students where. On the last day, I brought food (aka cookies) to the table and the students were extremely grateful and shared how they will missed the class and how they enjoyed the class. This then reiterated in their daily logs.

As student teachers we have been asked the question of, "What do you want people to say about you?" My answer is, "We want her." Yesterday I had a student ask me where I am teaching next year and I said I do not know. His friend then tells me that he was going home to tell his grandfather, the school board president, we need a third agriculture teacher. Knowing the short-term minds of many high schoolers this was just talk, but I was encouraged by my students to continue to work hard to ensure they are learning and enjoying their academic experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment