Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Shining Bright {Administration Interview}

I was blown away with the preparedness and willingness the superintendent and assistant superintendent at Big Spring High School to were to share advice, best tips, and answer my questions. Leaving the interview I felt confident and ready to take on another. My two interviewers setup the interview as a hybrid of formal and informal. When I first sat down they explained the process that was about to happen and discussed my portfolio, which I was clinging to me.

Tip #1: Portfolio - do not hand it out, use it and, the materials within, as a reference. Pass around individual items and not the entire binder.

They had a list of mock interview questions that they would ask, I would respond, and then they would give me feedback.

The topics were as follows:
1. Background information
2. Classroom Management and Organization
3. Planning for Instruction
4. Implementing Instruction - Engaging students
5. Implementing Instruction - Difficult for students to understand and how do you teach it/activity
6. Candidate as a person - Strengths and weaknesses

The consistent tip I received was to make sure I knew the district and the community well and integrate that into the conversation and my answers. Another take-away was length of answers. Give appropriate length answers to ensure that I do not "lose" anyone.

In asking questions I asked two (due to time):
1. What questions don't new teachers ask during the interview process that we should be asking?
2. What are your teaching philosophies?

My response and tips were to ask questions that are not normally asked. DO NOT discuss salary, but also do not ask if the school has a mentoring program. Be specific and genuine in your questions and hope to engage in a conversation that goes further. One great question they suggested asking was about the retention of teachers at the school. Is there a high or low retention rate and why?

Tip #2: Jewelry: They want to picture me as a professional and someone who can get dirty working as an agriculture teacher so dress the part. What would you wear in the classroom? Also if you have a pin or rings that has a story that you can tie into the interview wear it because someone may ask. For example, they said to wear my varsity ring so I can talk about my athletic experiences.

If either of the administrators ever read this blog, thank you for taking the time out of your day to prepare me for all the interviews in my near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment