Friday, April 22, 2016

The Tribute {Reflective Experience}

Day 1: Mid Winter Convention
This post is my tribute to Big Spring High School and everyone within it. Big Spring High School blew all my expectations out of the water and it boils down to the teachers and the students. The Big Spring program is a high caliber school that I would want my kids in. From the start I knew the students were held to a high standard to be the best people, students, and FFA members they could be. Right away I knew I was going to be challenged to maintain that expectation daily. What flabbergasted me though was the students who continually stepped up to the challenge of these expectations. Trying to learn the ways and tricks of the trade from two extraordinary teachers was my goal everyday.

Let the good times roll
Lets talk about these two teachers. If you ever want to see what a "power couple" looks like, you should see these two in action. No they are not a "couple" but they are partners like Batman and Robin. They manage two rigorous academic schedules filled with AP, CASE, and honors classes. They have each have families and their own farms, and they are involved in the school district, and at the local, state, and national levels. I ask myself everyday, "how do they do it?". I was fortunate to get a glimpse into how they successfully manage this all, in addition to learning how to become a better educator.

Starting my student teaching internship I expected it to reassemble my other internship experiences. I was to be there from 7:00am to 3:30pm, give my absolute best, build relationships, learn all I can, and complete my assignments. I expected that I would have extra time on my week nights and weekends. I expected the students to disregard me because I look like I should be sitting in the class. I did everything I expected I would but the difference is was my investment. I wanted to do more, I wanted to learn more, I wanted to be involved. Coming into student teaching I was not sure if industry or education was where I was called. Leaving student teaching, I know I want to be in secondary education, working with students.

This blog is very broad compared to what I usually write. It is hard to articulate appreciation, experiences that mean so much to you, and summarize 15 weeks in one blog post. So I will leave everyone with these final thoughts:

Teacher Dinner
To the students at Big Spring: Keep striving and never settle. You all have talents and skills that will make you successful. Do not ever tell yourself otherwise.

Big Spring FFA: Continue what you do because you do it well. I may not be in class everyday but I am always here when you need me. Do everything you can to be the best you! Remember: Penn State is the place to go to school :)

Parents/Friends: Thank you for your patience through my times of stress and my times of happiness. You will always be my rocks.

Mrs. Nailor and Mrs. Fulton: You are awesome people and teachers. Your mentoring will always be sought out as I continue my journey in life and education. Keep changing lives with the zest and flare you possess.

Three cheers for completing student teaching and three cheers for what the next chapter holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment