Saturday, April 9, 2016

Cluck Cluck {Weekly Blog}

The Career Development Event (CDE) is an integral part of the three circle model under the FFA portion. I have had the opportunity to work with a newly formed team at Big Spring HS, Poultry Evaluation CDE. With growing up on a poultry farm I thought I would know about this CDE, but I was wrong. I can explain how to raise poultry and define and describe some of the terminology, but poultry evluation is a whole other ball park.
We are continually told that agriculture education is a family and they are always their to support you. This was evident as I reached out to current and retired agriculture teachers within the state. One of these communications was to Penn Manor's Poultry Science guru, Neil Fellenbaum. Mr. Fellenbaum has had multiple successes at the state and national level and as a dedicated passion for this CDE. This was proven in his willingness to drive his poultry CDE team to Big Spring for 2.5 hours where the Big Spring and Penn Manor teams studied and learned the Poultry Evaluation CDE. 

Mr. Fellenbaum went all out. He brought 3 hens and multiple products and equipment to let the students practice with. Not only did my students learn, but so did myself and my cooperating teachers. So what is the big deal? An ag. teacher helped out another teacher and it was a huge success, makes sense. Experiencing something brings a lot more meaning to it then being told about it. This equates to not only CDE's but bring in guest speakers, taking field trips, volunteering my time and expertise to other people within and outside the district. Ms. Royer also gave her time and expertise to my student when she made her school visitation in late March. 

Take aways:
1. Never be afriad to ask
2. I will never know everything - use the experts
3. Don't always take, give equally as much 

No comments:

Post a Comment