Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Extra Time {Professional Development}

The opportunity to be involved with other individuals who are striving to achieve the same goals as is refreshing, empowering, and as a green teacher, motivating. Mr. Ron Fredrick, a retired agriculture teacher purposefully sets-up a dinner during the time students are student teaching to introduce us to teachers within the region, share resources, ask questions, and to ultimately support us. This evening fell nothing short of expectations.

Like all good agriculture teachers, Mr. Fredrick had the evening planned out to ensure our time together was fully utilized. Teachers had certain questions to answer and student teachers had questions to ask. Mr. Fredrick handed out posters, books, and other resources for student teachers to claim. I would lying if I did not say I feel as if I left with the best resource, a 4D chicken for my Poultry Evaluation CDE team. Additionally, we each brought one resource to share with everyone. 

This experience was one that was valuable but I want to look at this from a broader perspective. This was an evening that I gave up. It was a long meeting. I had extra work to prepare for the evening by gathering resources. There is value in attending extra opportunities because you will always gain something. This experience it was multiple resources, motivation, refreshment, empowerment, and of course a meal. Yes, there are times when you have to say no, but sometimes an opportunity will do more for you then you realize or you intended it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment