Thursday, September 10, 2015

Preventing the Head Nod {Student Engagement}

Past:
The most engaging classes I ever sat through were in fifth grade during our unit on the Wagon Train. For the duration of the unit we sat in pods as a "Wagon" and each day we encountered different obstacles we needed to conquer. The room was decorated with mountainous scenery and there was an actual covered wagon in the classroom. Each day the teacher would read us the scenario and then we would be given certain supplies to solve the problem with. We had to keep journals of our travel, bargin with the other wagons for food and supplies, and on the last day we had a celebration for making the trip. The Wagon Train unit theme was utilized throughout all our other subjects as well. 

Why am I talking about my fifth grade Wagon Train experience? Because it was the one unit I learned more about my fifth grade year then any other. I could probably repeat the experience in a classroom today! I did not like school because I academically struggled, but I loved everyday of the Wagon Train unit. I reflect on this experience, especially after our weekly readings because it was my turning point of my desire to learn. Learning can be enjoyable, and who's job is it to create that enjoyment? 


Present:
Starting the transition from student to teacher, I reflect back on the positive and negative experiences I had with being engaged as a student. I know I learned and retained the most when I was engaged by how the teacher taught more so then what was being taught. Engagement is a choice I make as an educator everyday. 


The book Teach Like a Pirate (TLAP), written by Dave Burgess says, "It does not matter how much material you teach, it matters how much is received". How am I going to teach in a way that is engaging to my students? Here are a few starting pieces that are needed everyday in class to be an engaging educator:


1. Fluidity in transitions
2. Hooks/Interest approaches
3. Being prepared

Expanding on that question, "How am I going to teach in a way that is engaging to my ALL my students?. We started unpacking the answer to this question in our AEE 412 class by identifying and discussing multiple intelligences and the 3 domains to learning. By incorporating a few of the several multiple intelligences into my lessons and consistently applying different domains of learnings, my students will hopefully be dialed in because they are learning in a way that fits their learning style and interests. 



Future:

To prevent the head nod and glazed over eyes, I want to challenge myself to remember what being in the shoes of the student is like and to make the choice to develop and deliver an engaging lesson everyday. I am going to be the one to make class enjoyable and engage each student. My Wagon Train experience included components such as setting-up the environment, instruction, enthusiasm, consistency, and hands-on application all planned purposefully. 

The article 5 Ways to Engage Students presents what seem to be simple but powerful ways to keep students engaged on a day to day basis. These techniques can be applied to any subject or lesson being taught. The first way is to use a 1:1 device. I know during student teaching I am going into a 1:1 program where students each have their own computers. Simply having the student take out their computers, log into twitter, and tweet one thought or reaction they had to the lesson could be a check-in point as well as an engagement technique. Another technique that is brought up in TLAP as well as on this website is to keep content relevant. Know what is going on in the world, what is trendy with your students and make the connections.


No comments:

Post a Comment