Saturday, September 26, 2015

I am 22 {Reading Reflection}

Be loud and proud is a common and familiar saying to many, but often undermined in the power and cry for change behind it. The TEDx Talks "I am 17" surfaced many valid points about the collaboration needed between adults and teenagers because teenagers have good ideas. A lot of this is due to their unpaved minds, but they have the capacity for change and ideas that even the most educated adults cannot dream up.

I am 22 and am considered an educated adult at this point, but I still have a horizontal license. I say this because I believe I have been structured to think certain ways and demand validity behind what I hear and read, but I still have some unpaved pathways in my brain that reap creativity and innovation. Our cohort is going to tap into these unpaved pathways by conducting Genius Hour. Before reading what Genius Hour was I thought this was some way to be creative in presenting material through technology. O how I was wrong. Genius Hour empowers me to LEARN WHAT I WANT and present what I learn ANYWAY I WANT. One more time... I CAN LEARN ANYTHING I WANT TO!


                    

Well my next thought was obvious, "What do I really want to know about?" Being a pre-service teacher my thoughts immediately went towards subject areas I find interesting but do not have experience in such as flower design and livestock judging. In reading examples of Genius Hour topics from 6th graders, I was blown away by their curiosities and diversity in topics. I noticed my 22 year old mind was resorting to my paved pathways already so I decided to step outside my agricultural and athletic worlds and consider the following 3 topics:

1. Create my own website
2. Starting up your own business
3. The art of acting

As if picking a topic will not be difficult enough, I will need to decide how to present what I learn. I know I want it be a accessible resource for everyone and flare passion as well as informative content. So this is where I ask the audience, which topic would you want to learn about and how would you want it to be presented? 

Stay tuned for the outcome!


Did you know....
     Google allows their employees 20% of "Genius Hour" time to learn about what they want to. The result of this time is many of Google successes including our "can't live without" Gmail.


No comments:

Post a Comment