Sunday, September 20, 2015

Learning With Purpose and People


Learning with a Purpose

Objectives have been apart of my academic journey since first grade. I remember teachers always pointing to them, stating them, or having them written somewhere in the classroom. Never understanding why objectives were so important and why a teacher took the time everyday to state them, if they did, but in my journey from moving from the student to the teacher I now find and understanding the meaning and purpose in writing objectives. In recognizing my lack of understanding of the importance of objectives as a student I want to incorporate the meaning behind objectives into my first day of school. 

Through my experience, objectives can be briefed through, unacknowledged, or non-existent, but through my college career I have learned that objectives are planned purposefully for each day. Their importance and function has been highlighted through my college career AEE classes, recently in unit and lesson planning, and researched based articles. In remembering properly written objectives have three parts:
                                           
                                         Behavior 
                                         Conditions
                                         Criteria 

... int he process of formulating daily objectives Bloom's Taxonomy challenges teachers to push students to higher levels of thinking. In reminiscing over this, I want to incorporate different orders of thinking for each of the daily objectives I write. To the left is a chart of Bloom's Taxonomy of verbs I found that I utilized in writing my first unit plan this past week and after this week's reading I understand the relationship between Bloom's, objectives, and verb usage.
I then went onto Pinterest to find different ways that teachers post their objectives and I found one I want to replicate. To the right is a picture of frame paper where the teacher writes the objective on the frame each day. I chose this because I can align the color and design of paper with each class and/or each unit. I also want to assign a student each week to write the objectives for that class on the frame and then introduce them to the class. 

The idea of purposefully planning for each day is a reoccurring theme for many topics we have discussed in our student teacher journey so far. Objectives is one example of this in addition to intention planning of instructions which was discussed in the book, "Methods of Teaching Agriculture". Talking and discussion comes natural for many people, but who would have thought teachers sit down and take the time to plan an entire discussion? I address this topic because I came across the graphic below of meaningful questions to ask as a teacher as well as students can ask each other during group work. I want to make this into a poster to have in my classroom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment