Monday, November 2, 2015

Amplify Your Life {2015 National Convention}

Finally, I was able to attend my first National FFA Convention and it was everything I was told it would be. Blue Jackets from all over the United States, highlighting student success, businesses on businesses that continually support the FFA, and more FFA logo items to buy then one could imagine. Even though I was unable to attend as a student, I am thankful to have attended as an advisor for the Big Spring FFA Chapter.

Big Spring had an Agriculture Communications team compete in the CDE events. My cooperating teachers traveled and worked with those 3 students, allowing me to
work with the remaining 11 students. I fully took the advisor role with these 11 students during convention and below is what I learned and what was emphasized to me.

-        Be Prepared…. Over Prepared for Everything: Each day I had to ensure I had all the correct documents with me, the First Aid bag, the schedule, the information of the place we were going, other advisor contact information, and tickets/buttons if necessary. The night before I would sit down and do through the schedule for the next day and write out what I needed and what the students needed. When I visited the students each night for their curfew checks I was able to tell them the schedule for the next day, what they needed, and answer any questions they may have. Preparation saved me from "Uh Ohs" and "I Do Not Know" situations as well as kept me calm and confident.

Touring Louisville Slugger Factory
-        Curfew Checks: Not only are these important to ensure your students are in their rooms, but I was able to gauge how tired they were, discuss the day with them, and address any concerns or questions. This was a short time period that was originally dreaded but eventually ended up enjoying by the end of the week because I found the purpose and power of it. 

-       Directions: The clearer stated, more transparent, frequent and concise I gave directions the less questions and uncertainty there was. Before the students broke out into the convention center we always set a time and meeting place. Again, this was my first time as convention, and other students in my 11 have been there before, so in locating parts of convention and making meal decisions I was able to ask the group and have a student give the recommendation or directions.

Waiting for Maddie & Tae and Jake Owen
-       All the Little Things: Until I was in the moment I did not realize the constant decision making, awareness, and opportunity to educate students there is. Weather it was deciding which intersection to cross, what time to meet, could the students use the bathrooms now or later, and the list goes on, my mind was constantly moving. Some moments I wish I had years of experience to fall back on, but I would deem myself as successful in thinking on my toes.


-         These are Other People’s Children: This ran through my head a lot this week. I was consistently concerned about their health, safety, and ware about. I realized I known these students for a total of two days, 48 hours, and I felt like mother hen. It was incredible to have that feeling.
Touring Churchill Downs
      I have the BEST Students: I have a feeling a lot of my fellow cohort may argue me on this, but I believe that I do. I was fortunate to have respectful, well-behaved, easy-going, and fun students to experience convention with. They made me laugh, they helped me when I did not know where I was going, and ultimately they respected that I was learning along with them. 

Being goofy on the PA Boat Cruise

No comments:

Post a Comment