Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Power of Community {Weekly Blog}

My first week at Big Spring High School was meeting new people, getting into a routine, asking a lot of questions, and, of course, planning. I once again was reassured of my placement being perfect for me for reasons that fit my individual development plan as a preservice teacher. 

Big Spring Boys Basketball Game
This week I was able to dive right into the high school community and sold basketball tickets with my roommate (whom is a teacher at the high school) as well as watched the games. Anyone that knows me knows I have a passion for athletics and I feel a great deal of pride for teams I am invested into. I am now a bulldog for 15 weeks so I was dialed in and cheering for the players. 

Having this experience early on was perfect for the community I am in. The community, inside and outside the high school is small, so the schools staff in the districts, students, and community members were at the Friday night game cheering on the team. Some of the high school staff recognized me, teachers said hello, and community members asked where I was student teaching and as soon as I said the Agriculture Department they ranted about how great the teachers and program are. I also saw a few of my FFA students, on the court and in the stands, and got to sit with a few members of the high school staff. 
Big Spring Pride Cup

I realize these interactions are different in each high school, depending on the community, but with a smaller to medium sized high school it was a rewarding evening being able to help out as well as support the students. In agriculture we know community involvement is vital and Big Spring is doing it right. I also recognized the power of having presence and involvement inside the school and outside my content area. I am looking forward to the upcoming weeks and attending different meetings where I (hopefully) can make connections to people and places and reconnect with people again. This also kicked started my interest in learning what specific efforts and events the BSFFA program makes to connect to the community. Watch out cooperating teachers, more to questions coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment