Friday, August 14, 2015

That's a Wrap!

And just like that 91 days flew by.

Let me sum up my summer as the New Holland Network Development (ND) intern:

Project #1: Updating a previously written manual to articulate the ND departments current strategies, tactics, systems, operations, and functions.

Title:  "Understanding the Strategy & Role of Dealer Network Development"
Total Work Time: 91 days
Pages: 68
Words: 9, 264
Sections: 6
Scheduled Editing Sessions: 10
 
Status: COMPLETE!
 
Project #2: Update the policies in Dealer Policy Manual to validate the Dealer Agreement.
 
   Total Policies to Update: 9
Total Work Time: 3 hours per week
Collaboration: 12+ people

 
Status: 90% complete; waiting on external party validation
 
 
Added Value Experiences:
 
- Baltimore Port Trip
          Purpose: to learn about the process and management of importing and exporting equipment
 
Cranes seen during the water tour of the Baltimore Harbor
 - Photoshoot
          Purpose: to be hands on with the Marketing and Brand Communications departments in creation of effective promotion & advertisement
 
 
- Traveling with Northeastern Market Representation Manager (MRM)
          Purpose: to learn how the ND strategies and plans are carried out in the field in addition to career shadowing a field employee
 
 
New Holland Internship Program Activities:
 
- Family Farm Days
           An annual 3-day community event to promote agriculture which New Holland sponsors. As an intern I was a tour guide, tractor driver, ice cream scooper, and loaded and unloaded wagons.
 
Loading wagons at Oregon Dairy's Family Farm Days
 - Hershey Park
           The sweetest place on earth for chocolate and amusement park rides.
 
The Sweetest Place on Earth
 - Building 39 Softball Team (CHAMPIONS)
            Wednesday evening company softball, where I hit my first home run and the team brought home the trophy.
Team #3
- Ride and Drive
             Test drove pieces of equipment from Case and New Holland Brands.
 
New Holland Windrower
 
So the question remains... Would I come back?!
 
The answer is YES, and for 4 reasons:
 
1. The people
2. Company culture & environment
3. Opportunity to travel
4. Positional & departmental movement
 
Coming into New Holland as an Ag. Ed. major, my goal was to discover if I could and would want to make it in a corporate world. Prior to the internship I did not think I had what it took, mostly due to my lack of accounting and financial background. I thought everyone needed to be a numbers wiz to survive and excel in a corporation. Man, I was wrong. It takes people from all different academic backgrounds to make a corporation purr.
 
Working through my main project, the manual, I realized that my skill sets and personality was the right fit for the ND departments internship project. I was able to take previously developed skills and utilize as well as enhance them. For example, written communication. I was challenged to write technically and not creativity. In addition, I learned functions of Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word that I did not know existed. Having "experts" all around me that utilize these programs and their functions everyday was a blessing when trying to be efficient in formatting a document. Lastly, developing, implementing, and executing the process of the manual was a skill that I learned. Having the support of my managers along the way, I not only created the manual but developed a multi-step, two-phase process to implement and execute.
 
To wrap it all together, my managers guided this Ag. Ed. major through a comprehensive project of taking someone of zero knowledge to being able to articulate processes, systems, operations, and functions of an entire department in 91 days. I am excited to have completed the manual but more appreciative of the willingness and time each person invested into me to make sure I was fully equipped to accomplish my project. The project allowed me to interact with various personnel throughout New Holland as well as get to know my department extremely well. New Holland equipped me with confidence to pursue the corporate world as well as with skills that I can utilize my last year of college and into a career.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment