Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Agricultural and EXTENSION Education

The extension part of an Agricultural and Extension Education major usually refers to the extension offices located within each county.  During the Summer of 2013 I was one of two interns working with Lancaster County 4-H Extension at the Farm and Home Center in Manheim, PA.  
    
 
There are a few important pieces of information you should know about the youth organization 4-H before I describe what I did as an intern. There are FOUR H's that stand for HANDS, HEART, HEAD, HEALTH which encompasses their pledge:

I pledge my my head to clearer thinking, 
my heart to greater loyalty, 
my hands to larger service, 
and my health to better living 
for my club, my community, my country, and my world

Their motto is:
To make the best better

These were words I use to say starting as an 8 year at my community and livestock club meetings. Community clubs refer to a variety of clubs that youth can sign-up to learn and acquire skills of a certain topic from. The youth will complete records and a project and compete at their county round-ups for placements. Some of these clubs are knitting, sewing, cake decorating, baking/cooking, archery, rocketry, ceramics, art, and many more. There is also opportunities to start practicing and developing leadership skills by being on the executive board for your areas community clubs.

The livestock clubs work similarly. As a participant you chose which animal you want to raise for a certain time span and you keep records, learn skills, collaborate with your leaders, and attend monthly meetings. Again, you will show your animal at round-up and then show and sale your animal at your local fair. Some of the livestock you can raise are swine, sheep, dairy beef, goats, and beef. There are also equine and rabbits clubs. 

Both community and livestock clubs not only teach you individual skills, record keeping, and financial literacy, but they present multiple opportunities to start developing your public speaking and leadership skills. Youth can start at the age of 8 and can continue until the age of 18. Working alongside another 4-H alumni who has different club experiences made our work smoother because of our rounded experiences.

Interning in 2013...

What did I do?

  • Conducted a variety of agricultural lessons to summer camp students twice per week
  • Assisted with prep work and execution of Presentation Night, Strawberry Round-Up, County & State Horse Shows, livestock club meetings, Round-Up, Welfare Training, and Family Farm Days.
  • Did office work: made phone calls, answered emails, printed/stapled/organized paper, and communicated with office personnel. All of these tasks was preparation for the success of our events.
  • Worked as a team with my bosses and co-intern 
  • Ran errands with my co-intern to pick up supplies which was some of the best times of my internship!
  • Ate at Chili's for lunch almost every other day
During agriculture night at the Lancaster Barnstormers game some of our members & members parents dressed in costume to help promote agriculture

What did I learn?

  • The role of extension offices in counties 
  • The role of 4-H at the local, state, and national level
  • I practiced creativity and simplicity in lessons is meet the competency & age of my audience
  • Expectations of a college intern
  • The functions and workings of an office setting and system
  • The importance of communication. When to communicate, who to communicate to, and how to communicate
  • The capacity of programs such as Powerpoint, Prezi, Excel, and Google
  • Pack your lunch the night before a work day
  • Account for the worst traffic at all times

Would I suggest this internship to someone?
Yes I would. This internship was a perfect first internship. My two bosses were down to earth, full of knowledge, and fun people who help me with any learning curves I had. This is the general feel from the 4-H community, completing everything they do with purpose, passion, and energy yet are down to earth people. This internship exposes education focussed majors to the other options of age group, content areas, and communities in which they can teach. 4-H is a foundational organization that give students outlets to express and learn in ways that are best for them. As an intern you can add your personal flare and strengths to the organization in addition takeaway from the many growing opportunities it allows you. The best part is... almost every county has an extension office and 4-H program!

No comments:

Post a Comment